Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November 10


Dear Mom,

Raking leaves in Ohio
So we had a pretty crazy week....... There has just been an
outpouring of stuff going on. Some good things, but as of right now
we have no car. I am not sure when we are going to get another one,
or if we will. I guess I should explain.

Coming home, at about 9:00 pm, from the R’s, on highway 62, we
hit a deer. Needless to say, since we were on the highway, we were
going 55. It was a bad accident! Considering everything, I responded
quickly as the driver, but there is no way we would have been able to
see it coming. It was running at full speed, and Sister Byers didn't
see it either. It jumped out right in front, so we hit it while it
was jumping and it hit us pretty high. Upon further inspection of
where it hit, many people told us that it was a miracle it didn't go
through our windshield. We remember it came up pretty close, but
somehow it went the opposite direction. A few very nice people
stopped to help us. Fortunately neither of us were really injured. I
slammed my left side against something. My hand was a bit swollen for
a bit, but I think it is okay. Sister Byers is pretty sore too, but
overall nothing bad. We called J pretty fast, and he and his wife
showed up shortly after! I am so grateful to be here right now, to
know how loved I am that in a crisis, they are there for us. J
helped us figure everything out and get things situated. Sister
Byers was on the phone with our mission office, when the State Patrol
showed up. When I handed him my license, I told him he couldn't say
my first name out loud because I have to be "Sister" right now. He
thought it was funny, and just called my "Little Sister" for the rest
of the night. I got to sit in the back of his patrol car and fill out
some papers for a bit. He and I had a good heart to heart about some
gospel principles, and then he had to let me out, because wouldn't you
know it there are no handles in the back of a patrol car. He said,
"not everyone is as nice as you." Pretty funny. He told me that they
received more deer hits that night than he had ever had before.
Crazy! J and J were so great! They helped get so much taken
care of to make sure we were safe and taken care of.

When we think back to everything that happened, we can really see so
many ways that we were protected. That was something I kept asking
myself. We hear as missionaries all the time that accidents happen if
you are disobedient, but we weren't. We were doing everything we
could to be obedient, but the blessings really came in how we were
protected. That deer should have gone through the windshield, and
could have killed us. Thank you for your prayers to keep us safe. I
know that we were so protected because of the prayers. As the most
prayed for group of people, I can tell you that we honestly feel it.

As far as everything else goes, I am not sure what is going to happen.
I don't even know if we are going to get a rental car or if we are
going to have to get rides pretty much everywhere.

I love you all! Thank you for your protective prayers! I will let
you know how things are going next week, and keep you up to speed.

Love,

Sister Bakker


No comments:

Post a Comment