Monday, October 14, 2013

Oct 14


Mom,
I have to tell you, Ohio beats Utah ten fold when it comes to fall!  I love it here this time of year!  Sister Frampton and I are going to go and take pictures today to just try and prove it to you.  So amazing!
S Frampton, Dani and Mike's kids
So I forgot to tell you a story from last week.... So we tracted into this guy named Mike.  He is really nice, and has a nice family.  It turns out that his family was just in Hawaii.  His son is a cancer survivor, and an organization similar to Make a Wish sent Mike and his son to Hawaii for a hunting trip.  Their tour guide was.... MORMON!  Ha!  So they attended a church service while they were there and loved it.  So of course the Lord would send us only three weeks after they got home to knock on their door.  Mike isn't sure he is looking to convert, but he invited us to dinner.  We had a great time!  So we get this call later on and we hear... "A-L-O-H-A!" His tour guide, Sister Cummings, called us all the way from Hawaii to hear about our experience!  So cool!  We are hoping to go back and have dinner again with Mike and his family soon. 
Berlin Lake while tracting in the rain
This week we set up a date for our investigator, Karen, for December 7.  She is doing awesome.  I feel like our lessons with her go so perfectly because she has such a genuine desire to find out if Joseph Smith is a prophet.  I love teaching her.  We will be seeing her again tomorrow.  Also this week, we went on exchanges.  It was my first time taking over this area, and I took Sister Bell to the C’s.  I am not sure if I mentioned the C’s before.  Sister C breeds Dachshunds, and so they have a lot of dogs.  We have been preparing Sister C to receive her patriarchal blessing.  Since going over there we met John, who is Sister C's brother-in-law.  Everyone in the home is a member, except for him.  He used to avoid us like the plague, but recently has been sitting in on lessons.  Naturally we have been catering our lessons to him, and last week he accepted the baptismal invitation!  I am so excited!!!!  Things are going really well with those two investigators. 
Finally, I received some great advice from Andrew that I put to use this week.  He gave me some ideas on how to help members feel more enthusiasm for hastening the work of salvation.  So after our cool experience with Shanique, I invited the K’s, who invited her to listen, to share their testimony and experience in testimony meeting yesterday.  After that testimony was born, it was referred to many times, and started a chain reaction for the rest of the church service!  It was a theme, and we could see others catching the bug a little bit at a time.  We know that the work we do will be far more effective with when we are working with the members. 
The church is true.  I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.  I know that this work is the most important thing we can be doing!  I love being a missionary!  I love you all! 
Love,
Sister Bakker




The Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment